Big Ideas Reading Group Book Guidelines
We follow some general guidelines to provide a balanced
experience for all participants. These may date from the days
of David Verdirame, our founder.
- Reasoned, informed, civil discourse.
- It’s a Mensa group. We should be intelligent enough to manage disciplined and equitable discussion.
- Don’t monopolize; give others a chance. Give some preference to newcomers.
- Don’t trample the polite, who don’t like to interrupt. When someone starts to speak, let them.
- Be brief. Use economy of expression. Just say swarming or flocking. We get it.
- Say it once. Keep it relevant. Minimize background.
- Please don’t make us resort to rules and gadgets.
We generally keep books under 400 pages. Sometimes we'll chose one a little longer but schedule it for a meeting more than 4 weeks after the previous meeting. Each member may nominate two books at each round of book selection, typically every 10-11 months.